.

Monday

would you rent the runway?

I've been trying to decide how I feel about Rent the Runway, the new website that lets you shop til you drop Netflix-style. The way it works is you choose from a wide variety of dresses and accessories for special events [or, if you're a really aspirational fashionista, just for the odd night out] and click the style, the size, and the day you want it to arrive. It arrives on your doorstep freshly cleaned [dear god, I hope], and even comes in an alternate size if you choose just in case.

These items are no joke--they range from designers like Alice + Olivia to Helmut Lang, DVF, and Herve Leger. But the rental fee is no joke either--nothing is below $50, and it can go as high as $350 for one night's wear!

It seems like the ultimate tease. If the dress doesn't fit you perfectly, you've just wasted at least $50 perfectly good dollars. And if you LOVE it, well, you have to give it back in a few days and what could have been a down payment vanishes along with it!

What do you guys think..? Would you ever do this? If I were to take the plunge, I'd get one of the pieces I highlighted here. I feel tortured already!

1. herve leger - stormy skies bandage dress
2. gryphon - metal chain striped dress
3. helmut lang - spray paint mini dress

No comments: