.

Sunday

housing works vs. cb2: a story of self-restraint

On a thrifting excursion around my usual haunts this weekend, I came across a heart-stopping piece at Housing Works. A gleaming lucite coffee table. First thoughts? OH MY GOD I HAVE TO HAVE IT.



Of course there was a little problem.... the price tag. $350. Sure, I've been googling and Craigslisting trying to find one of these for months with no luck. But $350? I tried to forget about it.

I went home.

I read all my fashion magazines.


But when I got into bed, I found myself still thinking about it.

So this morning, I took the boyfriend back with me to see if it was still there. Living with a boy means, after all, that you have to get approval on such purchases. And there it was! Still in its prime location at the very front of the door... and still $350.

"I don't get it," he kept saying. "I mean, it doesn't make an impact."

"But that's what the impact is! That there is so little impact!" I imagined throwing out our disgusting, clunky, industrial coffee table and watching the air move around this barely-there piece in a fresh new way. I imagined it's hardly-there visual impact doubling our perception of the size of our little apartment. I imagined this would CHANGE OUR LIVES. 

Of course, we had to make sure it was the right size. So we got the measurements (37.5" W x 21.25" D x 13.75"H) and went home to check with the dimensions of our current one.

Um, it was perfect.

So I got on my tennis shoes--which meant it was really serious, that we fully inteded to lug this thing home.  But when we returned, I started noticing the quarter-sized scuffs that couldn't possibly be buffed out. And the pin-sized scrapes all over the top. But... I loved it! So what's a girl to do?


Sulk on home, I guess.




I logged online, in a last ditch attempt to feel better about my decision, and through some Ebay comments found myself on CB2, looking at...


A lucite coffee table.


For $249.


With the same. exact. measurements -- 37.5" W x 21.25" D x 13.75"H.


Oh Housing Works, you sly devil you! Suddenly I realized those crazies didn't do their research, and I'd almost been seriously ripped off.


So thanks to hesitation (and my wary boyfriend), we've found our new addition--that doesn't break the bank! [As much.] There's a lesson to learn!


* lucite coffee table photo via cb2
* room photos via decor pad

4 comments:

heather said...

Yay! Congrats on the new table. I love how you describe the air moving around it, all the space it will create, and how it will ultimately change your lives! :)

vdcouture said...

that table is just awesome!!

vdcouture

Wangari said...

It's a great table, so congrats are definitely in order. I'm glad you ended up not getting it right away so you could save some money, but I know and often feel that I have to have it NOW urge. Not always a good thing ;)

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

i love that table and have been eyeing it myself. my husband will just say "why would we spend that much on plastic" so i haven't even mentioned it. i'm so happy for you and your new, beautiful purchase!